Sunday, October 9, 2016

Our Default Settings

While reading David Wallace's "This is Water" story, I came across the unfamiliar term of "default setting".  Yet even though I had never heard this term before, upon reading the piece I realized that I also had this "setting".  I realize that I often view myself as the main character in this world.  Have I always been self-centered?

An important idea to come out of Wallace's "This is Water" is that everyone subconsciously believes that he or she is the "absolute center of the universe, the realest, most vivid and important person in existence" (233).  For example, let's say I am playing a video game, and I get paired up with another person who isn't as good.  I would feel quite frustrated because this is my natural way of thinking. I wouldn't think that maybe my teammate is new to this game, or that he/she just doesn't care about it as much as I do.  I realize that because of this, the world really is a selfish egocentric world. After all, life mainly is about living life to the fullest, which usually doesn't count others lives.  


I believe that if everyone looks at other people's perspectives instead of their own then the world would be a better place.  Homelessness might not even be a thing if this was the case.  The only problem is that there is no switch, and it doesn't happen on its own. Thinking like this requires a conscious effort in order to "stay conscious and alive, day in or day out" (238). People have to understand that self-centered thinking makes them slip away from reality.


3 comments:

  1. Your video game analogy was very relatable and it really connected with your blog. Also, your point about how we must make a conscious effort to break out of our default-setting is interesting because it shows how difficult it is to constantly remain vigilant in order to think about others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's amazing how people can often times be so self-centered without even thinking twice about something. I like how you mentioned that self centered thinking causes us to slip away from reality because we get trapped in our little world. The fact that this is our "default setting" makes it very hard to turn the switch and reach the "real freedom" Wallace mentions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post Kevin! Often times, people's self-centered actions are what prevents the world from being a better place. I think that if people simply pulled themselves from their own little world and took action on the things they would see, the world would definitely become a better place.

    ReplyDelete