Sunday, February 19, 2017

Webkinz

I remember a long time ago, roughly when I was in the third grade, Webkinz stuffed animals were all the craze.  I remember being so obsessed with it, I even went online to play the virtual game. I was jealous of everyone who had the new ones or just had more than me.  Even though I had a good amount (like 7 or 8), I always needed more.

Come to think of it I never really knew why I wanted them.  They were just like any other stuffed animals. I guess it's because they were mainstream.  Everyone else had them so I felt the need to also. In this sense, Webkinz are a lot like the Pink Flamingos mentioned in Price's essay.   Just like the flamingos and how they came in an assortment of colors featuring "tangerine, broiling magenta, ... methyl green", Webkinz came in all sorts of animals.  Perhaps the one I was most proud of was my bald eagle.  I remember the day I brought it to school, and receiving many compliments.

Thinking back on it, it really surprises me how easily something can become a fad in our culture.  Silly Bandz is another great example.  I collected those too.  However popular these fads may be, though, they will never last long.  It seems American just gets up and walks to the next craze.

1 comment:

  1. Great post Kevin. You really captured the nature of excess in our society. Also, I liked when you mentioned how we are never able to hold on to things which shows how materialism and consumerism degrade the way people value things.

    ReplyDelete